This chess set package includes our British Staunton Chess Set in ebony and boxwood matched with our Mission Craft African Padauk and Maple Solid Wood Chess Board. The polished black ebony pieces create a beautiful contrast with the red colors of the African padauk - they look stunning together! Our British Staunton chess set originates from the old British Chess Company design from years past. This set has a sleek profile with a traditional straight base, a small and stylish knight, and unusually tall rook and pawn. The ebony is pure black and polished to a smooth, lustrous finish. The boxwood is beautifully grained and with the ideal medium amber color. The king, queen, and bishop columns have a graceful curve creating a beautiful profile. The king has a traditional formee cross. The queen's crown has 9 sharp points that are perfectly spaced and left thick enough to prevent breaking. The bishop miter is tall, slender, and symmetrical in shape. The rook stands even with the top of the knight's head and has a straight taper from the parapet to the base. The parapets are tall and have 6 deep crenels. The pawns are tall with large heads that make them easy to grab when playing.
Our African Padauk and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. Made from solid African padauk and maple, it has 2.25" squares and measures 21.9" x 21.9" x 1.4" tall. Ebony pieces look striking contrasted against the vibrant colors of the padauk and boxwood while padauk pieces are the perfect match. No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. This chess board design is uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius. This heirloom quality chess set made from exotic woods is not only a good investment for these times but it will make every chess game all the more enjoyable and is sure to become one of your treasured possessions that will be handed down for generations.
- Ebony & Boxwood
- King Height: 4"
- King Base: 1.75"
- King Weight: 4 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 84 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Material: Solid African Padauk & Maple
- Finish: Polyurethane Semi-gloss
- Square Size: 2.25"
- Overall Dimensions: 21.9" x 21.9" x 1.4" thick
- Weight: 15 lbs.
- Solid African Padauk and Maple - no veneer used.
- Laminated frame to prevent warping.
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity.
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame.
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping.
- Exposed squares underneath.
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface.
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on.
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall.