This chess set package includes our British Staunton Chess Set in ebony and boxwood matched with our Mission Craft South American Walnut and Maple Solid Wood Chess Board. The polished obsidian black ebony and amber color boxwood pieces look stunning against the chocolate and maple colors of the chess board. Our British Staunton chess set originates from the old British Chess Company design from years past. This set has a sleek profile with a traditional straight base, a small and stylish knight, and unusually tall rook and pawn. The ebony is pure black and polished to a smooth, lustrous finish. The boxwood is beautifully grained and with the ideal medium amber color. The king, queen, and bishop columns have a graceful curve creating a beautiful profile. The king has a traditional formee cross. The queen's crown has 9 sharp points that are perfectly spaced and left thick enough to prevent breaking. The bishop miter is tall, slender, and symmetrical in shape. The rook stands even with the top of the knight's head and has a straight taper from the parapet to the base. The parapets are tall and have 6 deep crenels. The pawns are tall with large heads that make them easy to grab when playing.
Made in America, our South American Walnut and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. Made from solid South American Walnut and maple, it has 2.25" squares and measures 21.9" x 21.9" x 1.4" tall. Our Mission Craft Series solid wood chess boards are made for us by a local craftsman extraordinaire and are simply the best solid wood chess boards in the world. No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. They are uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius. Together, the pieces and board create an eye-catching display of chess.
- Ebony & Boxwood
- King Height: 4"
- King Base: 1.75"
- King Weight: 4 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 84 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Material: Solid South American Walnut & Maple
- Finish: Polyurethane Semi-gloss
- Square Size: 2.25"
- Overall Dimensions: 21.9" x 21.9" x 1.4" thick
- Weight: 15 lbs.
- Laminated frame to prevent warping.
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity.
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame.
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping.
- Exposed squares underneath.
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface.
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on.
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall.