This unique and popular handcrafted chess set includes our Zagreb Series with golden rosewood and boxwood pieces matched with our Classic Walnut and Maple Chess Board and matching Classic Walnut Chess Box. This design became prominent in the 1950’s when it was first used in the World Championship Candidates Match held in Zagreb in 1959. This set stands out from other Staunton designs with its opposite color tops on the king, queen, and bishop and the unique and handsome knight with its graceful curves and down-turned head. The golden rosewood chess pieces have rich golden-brown colors that go perfectly with the color of the walnut board. The pieces are individually hand polished and lacquered to a beautiful luster. The king is 3.25" tall and has a base diameter of 1.375" - an ideal size for the game at home. The pieces have thick green baize pads so they slide smoothly across the chess board and are heavily weighted for stability.
Our Classic Walnut and Maple Chess Board is wonderfully handcrafted from the finest veneers and sealed in a semi-gloss polyurethane finish that both enhances and protects the character of the wood. This board features 1.75” squares and has a footprint of 17.5" and is .5” thick. We framed the squares in a wide black delimiter to both accentuate the playing area and enhance the rich color of the walnut and maple. For balance of design and visual aesthetics, we enveloped the board with a frame the full width of the squares. The precision of the inlay work across the entire chess board is remarkable. This beautiful chess board will enhance the enjoyment of every chess game you play on it.
The chess box is wonderfully constructed and reminiscent of the old heirloom quality chess boxes from many years ago. The box is covered in walnut veneer and the interior is lined with a thick green baize just like we use for the pads on our chess pieces. The box has a divider in the center for storing the black and white pieces separately. We used high quality recessed hinges and a brass plated lock for securing the lid. We include 2 keys in case one ever gets lost.
- Golden Rosewood & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer buffing wheel
- King Height: 3.25"
- King Base: 1.375"
- King Weight: 1.8 Ounces
- Chess Set Weight: 32 Ounces
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Material: Walnut & Maple Veneer & Wood Materials
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane (soft sheen)
- Square Size: 1.75"
- Dimensions: 17.5" x 17.5" x .5"
- Felt Bottom
- Material: Walnut Veneers & Other Woods
- Lining: Thick Green Baize (same material as the pads on the chess pieces)
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Brass Plated Lock and Hinges (includes 2 keys)
- Outside Dimensions: 9.25" x 6.375" x 4"
- Inside Dimension: 8" x 5" x 2.75" (1" space above in lid)