This unique and popular package includes our Zagreb Series Chess Set with golden rosewood and boxwood pieces matched with our Classic Walnut and Maple Chess Board and matching Classic Walnut Chess Box. This design became prominent in the 1950’s when it was first used in the World Championship Candidates Match held in Zagreb in 1959. This set stands out from other Staunton designs with its opposite color tops on the king, queen, and bishop and the unique and handsome knight with its graceful curves and down-turned head. The golden rosewood chess pieces have rich golden-brown colors that go perfectly with the color of the walnut board. The pieces are individually hand polished and lacquered to a beautiful luster. The king is 3.25" tall and has a base diameter of 1.375" - an ideal size for the game at home. The pieces have thick green baize pads so they slide smoothly across the chess board and are heavily weighted for stability.
Our walnut and maple chess board is made with the finest veneers and sealed in semi-gloss polyurethane protective finish. The squares are 1.75" and the overall size of the board is 17" and .5" thick. A wide black inlay border accentuates the playing area and the bottom of the board has pads to protect whatever surface it sets on. The chess box is wonderfully constructed and reminiscent of the old heirloom quality chess boxes from many years ago. The box is covered in walnut veneer and the interior is lined with a thick green baize just like we use for the pads on our chess pieces. The box has a divider in the center for storing the black and white pieces separately. We used high quality recessed hinges and a brass plated lock for securing the lid. We include 2 keys in case one ever gets lost.
- Golden Rosewood & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer buffing wheel
- King Height: 3.25"
- King Base: 1.375"
- King Weight: 1.8 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 32 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Material: Walnut & Maple Veneer & Wood Materials
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane (soft sheen)
- Square Size: 1.75"
- Dimensions: 17" x 17" x .5"
- Felt Bottom
- Material: Walnut Veneers & Other Woods
- Lining: Thick Green Baize (same material as the pads on the chess pieces)
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Brass Plated Lock and Hinges (includes 2 keys)
- Outside Dimensions: 9.25" x 6.375" x 4"
- Inside Dimension: 8" x 5" x 2.75" (1" space above in lid)