This stunning chess set includes our Bucephalus Staunton in padauk and boxwood matched with our Padauk and Maple Mission Craft chess board. This set is named after the famous war horse Bucephalus, that Alexander the Great rode throughout his many military conquests in the middle east. Bucephalus is a Greek name meaning "ox head", conjuring the image of a strong, broad and thick head. The knight was designed with this in mind creating a large but intricately detailed knight. Only the very best craftsmen can carve knights with this level of detail including eyes, nostrils, mouth, and teeth. What really stands out on this knight is the large and elegant mane flowing down the horses neck. All of the pieces are beautifully shaped with an elegant profile that forms a cohesive design from king to pawn. The lathe work is extraordinary with compound collars and eloquent lines precisely turned into the base of each piece. This is a large set with a king that is 4.25" tall with a 1.875" base. Pieces are heavily weighted and have thick green baize pads.
Our African Padauk and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. Made from solid African padauk and maple, it has 2.5" squares and measures 23.9" x 23.9" x 1.4" tall. Ebony or African padauk (blood rosewood) chess pieces will look stunning sitting on this chess board as will nearly any chess set! No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. They are uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius. This heirloom quality chess set made from exotic woods is not only a good investment for these times but it will make every chess game all the more enjoyable and is sure to become one of your treasured possessions that will be handed down for generations.
- African Padauk & Boxwood
- King Height: 4.5"
- King Base: 1.875"
- King Weight: 3.6 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 76 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Pads
- Material: Solid African Padauk & Maple
- Finish: Polyurethane Semi-gloss
- Square Size: 2.5"
- Overall Dimensions: 23.875" x 23.875" x 1.375" thick
- Weight: 15 lbs.
- Solid African Padauk and Maple - no veneer used.
- Laminated frame to prevent warping.
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity.
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame.
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping.
- Exposed squares underneath.
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface.
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on.
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall.