This package includes our Wellington Staunton Chess Set in African padauk and boxwood matched with our Padauk and African Padauk and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board. This eye-catching chess set in African padauk is a true show piece with the combination of the colorful red chess pieces and chess board. Named for the Duke of Wellington whom defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo, this is our newest chess set and one of the best in our collection. The Wellington blends contemporary and traditional Staunton design resulting in a truly unique chess set from every angle. The knights are extraordinary with finely carved detail including the mane, eyes, ears, nostrils, and teeth. The other pieces are equally impressive with beautiful profiles and shapes. The lathe work is remarkable with compound collars and eloquent lines perfectly turned into each piece. Even the design of the rook stands out with a unique parapet and crenellations. The pawns are wonderfully large making them easy to handle during the game. The king is 4.25" tall with a 2" wide base and features an ornate finial that is unique from any other chess set in our collection. The pieces are triple-weighted to produce a low-center of gravity and exceptional stability on the chess board. The pieces are padded with thick green baize for a nice cushion when picking up and moving or sliding across the chess board. The pieces are individually hand polished to beautiful luster.
Our African Padauk and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. Made from solid African padauk and maple, it has 2 1/2" squares and measures 23 7/8" x 23 7/8" x 1 3/8" tall. Ebony or African padauk (blood rosewood) chess pieces will look stunning sitting on this chess board as will nearly any chess set! No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. They are uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius. This heirloom quality chess set made from exotic woods is not only a good investment for these times but it will make every chess game all the more enjoyable and is sure to become one of your treasured possessions that will be handed down for generations.
- African Padauk & Boxwood
- King Height: 4.25"
- King Base: 1.875"
- King Weight: 3.6 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 76 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Pads
- Material: Solid African Padauk & Maple
- Finish: Polyurethane Semi-gloss
- Square Size: 2.5"
- Overall Dimensions: 23.875" x 23.875" x 1.375" thick
- Weight: 15 lbs.
- Solid African Padauk and Maple - no veneer used.
- Laminated frame to prevent warping.
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity.
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame.
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping.
- Exposed squares underneath.
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface.
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on.
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall.