This package includes our Hallett of High Holborn Antique Reproduction Chess Set with ebony and boxwood pieces matched with our Black and Ash Burl Deluxe Chess Board. Our skilled craftsmen have recreated this exquisite chess set based on the original set produced by William Hallett of High Holborn back during the Victorian period in England. Each piece is beautifully designed with shapes and features commonly seen on English sets back in the mid-1800s. The knights are quite eloquent with a mane that looks different on each side. These pieces are made of genuine ebony and boxwood and have a traditional polished lacquer finish the makes the ebony shine like black obsidian. This is a large and heavy set with the king standing 4" tall and with a base diameter of 1.7". Pieces have green billiard cloth pads for a soft cushion on the chess board and are heavily weighted for exceptional balance and stability. We include two extra queens for pawn promotion.
Made in America, our South American Walnut and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. Our Mission Craft Series solid wood chess boards are made for us by a local craftsman extraordinaire and are simply the best solid wood chess boards in the world. No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. They are uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius. Whether you are collector or looking for just one special chess set, the Hallett of High Holborn will look stunning displayed in your home and prove equally good for playing.
- Includes 34 Pieces with 2 Extra Queens for Pawn Promotion
- Ebony & Boxwood Pieces
- Traditional Polished Lacquer Finish
- King Height: 4"
- King Base: 1.7"
- King Weight: 3 Ounces
- Chess Set Weight: 52 Ounces
- Green Baize Pads
- Includes certificate of authenticity so you will always know the chess set is, where it came from, the year it was made and where it came from
- Solid South American Walnut & Maple
- Polyurethane Semi-Gloss Finish
- Square Size: 2.25"
- Overall Dimensions: 21.875" x 21.875" x 1.375" thick
- Weight: 12 Pounds
- Laminated frame to prevent warping
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping
- Exposed squares underneath
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall