This popular handcrafted chess set includes our German Knight Staunton with ebonized and natural boxwood pieces matched with our Classic Mahogany and Maple Chess Board and Classic Mahogany Chess Box. Simple is often best and our German Knight Staunton with its simple yet attractive design is the ideal set for your everyday chess game. Unencumbered by fine detail, these chess pieces will stand up to the rigor of daily play for a lifetime. The king is 3.75” tall with a base diameter of 1.375”, an ideal size for tournament play or the casual game at home. Pieces are heavily weighted for exceptional stability and have thick green baize pads on the bottom for a soft cushion and allow pieces to slide smoothly across the chess board. The German Knight Staunton ranks as the most popular chess set ever made is often used in tournaments, matches, television shows, movies and featured on chess book covers.
Our Classic Mahogany and Maple Chess Board is wonderfully handcrafted from the finest veneers and sealed in a semi-gloss polyurethane finish that both enhances and protects the character of the wood. This board features 2” squares and has a footprint of 19.5" and is .5” thick. We framed the squares in a wide black delimiter to both accentuate the playing area and enhance the rich color of the mahogany and maple. For balance of design and visual aesthetics, we enveloped the board with a frame the full width of the squares. The precision of the inlay work across the entire chess board is remarkable. This beautiful chess board will enhance the enjoyment of every chess game you play on it.
The chess box is wonderfully constructed and reminiscent of the old heirloom quality chess boxes from many years ago. The box is covered in high quality mahogany veneer and the interior is lined with thick green baize just like we use for the pads on our chess pieces. The box has a divider in the center for storing the black and white pieces separately. We use plated high quality brass plated recessed hinges and a lock for securing the lid. The box is sealed with semi-gloss polyurethane just like the chess board and we include 2 keys in case one ever gets lost.
- Ebonized & Natural Boxwood
- Hand polished lacquer finish
- King Height: 3.75"
- King Base: 1.375"
- King Weight: 2.5 Ounces
- Chess Set Weight: 40 Ounces
- Includes 2 extra queens for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Pads
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Material: Mahogany & Maple Veneer over Wood Composites
- Black Inlay Border Around Playing Area
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Square Size: 2"
- Overall Dimensions: 19.5" x .5" Thick
- Material: Mahogany Veneers & Other Woods
- Lining: Thick Green Baize (same material as the pads on the chess pieces)
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Brass Plated Lock and Hinges (includes 2 keys)
- Outside Dimensions: 9.25" x 6.375" x 4"
- Inside Dimension: 8" x 5" x 2.75" (1" space above in lid)