This chess set package includes our Zagreb with genuine ebony and boxwood pieces matched with our Mission Craft South American Walnut and Maple Solid Wood Chess Board. Our Zagreb series chess sets have been a mainstay in our collection for decades. This design became prominent in the 1950’s when it was first used in the World Championship Candidates Match held in Zagreb in 1959. This is a large set ideally suited for tournament play with a 3.875” tall king and a base diameter of 1.625”. This unique and handsome Staunton design has since become a favorite for chess players around the world and one of our most popular chess sets. We made a few minor changes such as adding a tapered base to enhance appearance and balance of the chess pieces while maintaining the integrity of the intended design. The king is 3.875" tall with a 1.625" wide base and features a traditional formee cross. The pieces are triple-weighted to produce a low-center of gravity and exceptional stability on the chess board. The pieces are padded with thick green baize for a nice cushion when picking up and moving or sliding across the chess board. The pieces are individually hand polished to beautiful luster.
Made in America, our South American Walnut and Maple Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. Made from solid South American Walnut and maple, it has 2.25" squares and measures 21.9" x 21.9" x 1.4" tall. Our Mission Craft Series solid wood chess boards are made for us by a local craftsman extraordinaire and are simply the best solid wood chess boards in the world. No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. They are uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius. Together, the pieces and board create an eye-catching display of chess.
Save $100.98 Compare to Buying Pieces & Board Separately!
- African Padauk & Boxwood
- King Height: 3.875"
- King Base: 1.625"
- King Weight: 3 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 56 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Pads
- Material: Solid South American Walnut & Maple
- Finish: Polyurethane Semi-gloss
- Square Size: 2.25"
- Overall Dimensions: 21.9" x 21.9" x 1.4" thick
- Weight: 15 lbs.
- Laminated frame to prevent warping.
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity.
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame.
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping.
- Exposed squares underneath.
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface.
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on.
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall.