This unique and popular chess set package includes our Zagreb Series Chess Set with ebonized and natural boxwood pieces matched with our Walnut and Maple Deluxe Chess Board and Classic Walnut Chess Box. Our Zagreb originates from the chess set designed for the 1950 Chess Olympiad held in Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia. This set stands out from other Staunton designs with its opposite color tops on the king, queen, and bishop and the unique and handsome knight with its graceful curves and down-turned head. Our ebonized chess pieces are beautifully produced and look nearly identical to real ebony at less than half the price. This is a tournament size set with a 3.875" tall king and a base diameter of 1.625". The pieces have thick green baize pads so they slide smoothly across the chess board and are heavily weighted for stability.
Our Walnut and Maple Deluxe Chess Board is made for us by Rechapados Ferrer in Spain, the manufacturer of the highest quality inlaid chess boards in the world. Made from premium grade walnut and maple veneer, the precision of the craftsmen inlay work is remarkable. The squares are 2.125" and the overall size of the board is 21.5" and .5" thick. A triple inlay delimiter accentuates the playing area from the extra wide frame that is the full width of a square. The board is sealed with a matte polyurethane finish that both protects and enhances the beauty of the wood.
The chess box is wonderfully constructed and reminiscent of the old heirloom quality chess boxes from many years ago. The box is covered in walnut veneer and the interior is lined with a thick green baize just like we use for the pads on our chess pieces. The box has a divider in the center for storing the black and white pieces separately. We used high quality recessed hinges and a brass plated lock for securing the lid. We include 2 keys in case one ever gets lost. Whether you are a collector or just looking for one special chess set for home, the Zagreb with this beautiful chess board and box is an unbeatable combination.
- Ebonized & Natural Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished
- King Height: 3.875"
- King Base: 1.625"
- King Weight: 3.5 Ounces
- Chess Set Weight: 56 Ounces
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Walnut & Maple Veneer over Wood Composites
- Matte Polyurethane Finish
- Triple Inlay Delimiter Around Squares
- Square Size: 2.125"
- Overall Dimensions: 21.5" x .5" Thick
- Made for The Chess Store by Rechapados Ferrer in Spain
- Material: Walnut Veneers & Other Wood
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Outside Dimensions: 9.75" x 6.625" x 4.25"
- Inside Dimension: 8.75" x 5.625" x 3" (1" space above in lid)
- High Quality Hinges and Lock - Comes with 2 Keys