This popular chess set and box combination includes our Zagreb with ebonized boxwood and natural boxwood pieces matched with our Classic Mahogany Chess Box. Our Our Zagreb series chess sets have been a mainstay in our collection for decades. This design became prominent in the 1950’s when it was first used in the World Championship Candidates Match held in Zagreb in 1959. This set stands out from other Staunton designs with its opposite color tops on the king, queen, and bishop and the unique and handsome knight with its graceful curves and down-turned head. We made a few minor changes from the original set such as adding a tapered base to enhance appearance and balance of the chess pieces while maintaining the integrity of the intended design. The pieces have thick green baize pads so they slide smoothly across the chess board and are heavily weighted for stability. The Yugoslavia has been favorite for with chess players for decades and continues to be one of our most popular chess sets.
Our Classic Mahogany Chess Box is perfect for storing your ebonized boxwood chessmen - they look great together! This is a traditional chess box that is designed for stacking or laying your chessmen on top of each other and there's plenty of room inside. It has an old world-charm with its lock and key for securing the lid and emerald green baize interior with a divider in the center for separating the two chess piece colors. This is an inlaid wood box with high quality mahogany veneer on the outside and sealed with a satin polyurethane finish. The lock and recessed hinges are brass plated and have a rich looking gold-color mirror finish. The bottom of the box is covered in with black felt to protect furniture where it might sit.
- Ebonized Boxwood & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer buffing wheel
- King Height: 3.875"
- King Base: 1.625"
- King Weight: 3.5 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 56 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Recommended Chess Board Size: 2.125 - 2.375" Squares (chess board not included)
- Material: Mahogany Veneers & Other Woods
- Lining: Thick Green Baize (same material as the pads on the chess pieces)
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Brass Plated Lock and Hinges (includes 2 keys)
- Outside Dimensions: 9.25" x 6.375" x 4"
- Inside Dimension: 8" x 5" x 2.75" (1" space above in lid)