This luxurious chess set includes our Tencendur Staunton with padauk and boxwood pieces together with Italfama's Elm Burl and Erable (whitened bird's-eye maple) Chess Board. This exquisite chess set is named after the famous warhorse rode by King Charlemagne in the French Epic, The Song of Roland. The Tencendur is one of the most creative and artistic Staunton sets in our collection. Each piece was thoughtfully designed to create a set of cohesive pieces from pawn to king. The knight is beautifully sculpted with realistic features and fine detail including the ears, eyes, nose, and mouth. Only the best carvers in the world can accurately carve and replicate the details of this knight from piece to piece. The other pieces are equally impressive with graceful shapes and curves displaying the mastery of the turning. This is a large club size set with a 4.4 inch tall king with a base diameter of 1.9 inches. The pieces are made from the highest quality African padauk and boxwood and heavily weighted for exceptional balance and stability on the chess board. The pieces have thick green baize pads to easily slide across the board or sit down softly. We include an extra queen for each color for pawn promotion and a certificate of authenticity so you will always know what the name of the set, the type of wood, the year it was made, and where it came from.
From Italfama in Italy, their Elm Burl and Erable chess board is one of the most beautiful chess boards in our collection. Elm burl is a unique and colorful wood with brown and orange colors that intermingle creating irregular patterns. The rich colors of the elm burl create a stunning backdrop for the padauk and boxwood pieces. This is an inlaid chess board handcrafted by the skilled craftsmen of Italfama - the quality of the workmanship is unsurpassed. The squares are 2.375" and the overall size of the board is 23.5" and .75" thick. The Tencendur is a true masterpiece of contemporary Staunton design of heirloom quality and together with this board is nothing less than a fine piece of art.
- African Padauk & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer and buffing wheel
- King Height: 4.4"
- King Base: 1.9"
- King Weight: 4.2 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 67 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Recommended Chess Board Size: 2.375" - 2.5" Squares (chessboard is not included)
- Larger than average chess set with a 4.4" tall king
- King has a unique finial different from any other set
- Large knight with a high level of fine detail
- Extra-wide cut in the bishop miter
- Contemporary Staunton Design
- Material: Elm Root & Maple Veneers and Other Wood Material
- Finish: Semi-gloss Polyurethane (soft satin finish)
- Square Size: 2.375"
- Dimensions: 23.5" x 23.5" x .75"
- Made in Italy
- Please note that grain and color variation of elm burl wood can vary considerably and the board pictured is only one sample randomly selected.