This chess set includes our Marengo Staunton with genuine ebony and boxwood pieces matched with our Walnut and Maple Molded Edge Chess Board. This spectacular chess set is named after Napoleon Bonaparte's famous Arabian stallion for which he rode during the famous battle of Marengo. This chess set takes Staunton design to a new level with its artistic and elegant features. Handcrafted by our highly skilled artisans, the knight is beautifully sculpted with realistic features and an elegant pose with its mane flowing back and head turned down. Only the best carvers in the world can accurately replicate the details of this knight from piece to piece. All of the pieces are beautifully shaped with a unique and elegant profile that creates a coherent pattern from pawn to king. The lathe work is simply extraordinary. The Marengo is a large set with a king that is 4.25" tall and a base of 1.875". The king features a highly ornate finial that is unique from any other chess set in our collection. The pieces have thick green baize pads so you can slide your pieces across the board or sit down softly.
This beautiful Walnut and Maple Molded Edge chess board is made for us by Rechapados Ferrer in Spain, the preeminent wood chess board manufacturer in the world. The craftsmanship and quality of the inlay work is unsurpassed. The black molded edge accentuates the rich brown colors of the walnut and a colorful brier wood inlay delineates the squares. The squares are 2.375" and the chess board measures 23.5" overall and is .625" thick. An excellent chess board for the backdrop of these beautiful jet black ebony and boxwood pieces.
- Ebony & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer and buffing wheel
- King Height: 4.25"
- King Base: 1.875"
- King Weight: 4.2 Ounces
- Chess Set Weight: 67 Ounces
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Green Billiard Cloth Pads
- Material: Walnut & Maple Veneer & Wood Materials
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane (soft sheen)
- Square Size: 2.375" (actual 60 mm)
- Dimensions: 23.5" x 23.5" x .5"
- Imported from Spain, Rechapados Ferrer is the largest manufacturer and the most recognized name of high quality wood chess boards in the world.