This chess set includes our Hadrian Staunton in genuine ebony and boxwood matched together with our Walnut and Maple Molded Edge chess board. This elegant chess set is named after Hadrian, the famous Roman Emperor and military administrator that ruled from 117 to 138. Hadrian is known for having re-built the Pantheon and building the Temple of Venus and Roma but his most famous work was Hadrian's Wall which stretch for over 73 miles across Britain and marked the northern limit of Roman Britain. The Hadrian features a bridle and reigns and finely carved features including ears, eyes, mane, and mouth. This is a club size set with a 4.4" tall king and an extra wide base. The king has an ornate finial that that incorporates two small balls, one on each side of the finial. The lathe work is extraordinary with compound collars and eloquent lines turned into the base. Even the rook stands out as an extraordinary piece with its' unique parapet and crenellations. The pawns are extra-large making them easy to handle during the game.
This beautiful Walnut and Maple Molded Edge chess board is made for us by Rechapados Ferrer in Spain, the preeminent wood chess board manufacturer in the world. The craftsmanship and quality of the inlay work is unsurpassed. The black molded edge accentuates the rich brown colors of the walnut and a colorful briar wood inlay delineates the squares. The squares are 2.375" and the chess board measures 23.5" overall and is .625" thick. An excellent chess board for the backdrop of these beautiful jet black ebony and boxwood pieces.
- Ebony & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer and buffing wheel
- King Height: 4.4"
- King Base: 1.875"
- King Weight: 4.2 Ounces
- Chess Set Weight: 88 Ounces
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Green Billiard Cloth Pads
- Material: Walnut & Maple Veneer & Wood Materials
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane (soft sheen)
- Square Size: 2.375" (actual 60 mm)
- Dimensions: 23.5" x 23.5" x .5"
- Imported from Spain, Rechapados Ferrer is the largest manufacturer and the most recognized name of high quality wood chess boards in the world.