This unique and popular chess set package includes our Zagreb with genuine ebony and natural boxwood pieces matched with our Classic Walnut and Maple Chess Board and matching Classic Walnut Chess Box. Our Zagreb series chess sets have been a mainstay in our collection for decades. This design became prominent in the 1950’s when it was first used in the World Championship Candidates Match held in Zagreb in 1959. This set stands out from other Staunton designs with its opposite color tops on the king, queen, and bishop and the unique and handsome knight with its graceful curves and down-turned head. Ebony is one of the hardest woods in the world with no visible grain and when polished produces a chess piece with a glass-like obsidian luster. This is a tournament size set with a 3.875" tall king and a base diameter of 1.625". The pieces have thick green baize pads so they slide smoothly across the chess board and are heavily weighted for stability. The Yugoslavia has been favorite with chess players for decades and continues to be one of our most popular chess sets.
Our walnut and maple chess board is made with the finest veneers and sealed in semi-gloss polyurethane protective finish. The squares are 2.25" and the overall size of the board is 21.5" and .625" thick. A wide black inlay border accentuates the playing area and the bottom of the board has pads to protect whatever surface it sets on. The chess box is wonderfully constructed and reminiscent of the old heirloom quality chess boxes from many years ago. The box is covered in walnut veneer and the interior is lined with a thick green baize just like we use for the pads on our chess pieces. The box has a divider in the center for storing the black and white pieces separately. We used high quality recessed hinges and a brass plated lock for securing the lid. We include 2 keys in case one ever gets lost.
- Ebony & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished
- King Height: 3.875"
- King Base: 1.625"
- King Weight: 3.5 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 56 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Material: Walnut & Maple Veneer & Wood Materials
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane (soft sheen)
- Square Size: 2.25"
- Dimensions: 21.5" x 21.5" x .625"
- Felt Bottom
- Material: Walnut Veneers & Other Woods
- Lining: Thick Green Baize (same material as the pads on the chess pieces)
- Finish: Satin Polyurethane
- Brass Plated Lock and Hinges (includes 2 keys)
- Outside Dimensions: 9.75" x 6.625" x 4.25"
- Inside Dimension: 8.75" x 5.625" x 3" (1" space above in lid)