This beautiful chess set includes our Hengroen Staunton in ebony and boxwood matches with our Mission Craft solid wood chess board with zebra wood and maple squares with a South American walnut frame. The Hengroen is named after the stallion rode by the legendary King Arthur. The Hengroen brings together the very best features of a heirloom quality set blending traditional Staunton elements with a contemporary design. The knight is beautifully sculpted with realistic features and an elegant pose with its head turned down and mane flowing down the neck. A bridal and breast collar add to the realistic design. Only the very best carvers in the world can accurately carve and replicate the details of this knight from piece to piece. The other pieces are equally crafted with wood turning that is is extraordinary.
The Hengroen Staunton is a very large set with a 4.6 inch tall king with a base diameter of 1.9 inches. The pieces are made from the highest quality ebony and boxwood and heavily weighted for good balance and stability on the chess board. The king features a unique cross finial that you will not find on another chess set. The pieces have thick green baize pads so you can slide your pieces across the board or sit down softly. We include an extra queen for each color for pawn promotion and a certificate of authenticity so you will always know what the chess set name is, the type of wood, the year it was made, and where it came from. A must have for the collector!
Made in America, our Mission Craft Solid Wood Chess Board is simplistically beautiful and profoundly designed. It's nothing less than a fine piece of handcrafted furniture and is the perfect surface for both playing and displaying your treasured chess set. This chess board features zebra wood and maple squares with a South American walnut frame that has a decorative maple inlay and corner dowels. This is a large chess board with 2.5" squares and measures 23.875" x 23.875" x 1.375" tall. Our Mission Craft Series solid wood chess boards are made for us by a local craftsman extraordinaire and are simply the best solid wood chess boards in the world. No other chess board made today compares in design and features built into this chess board. They are uniquely engineered to prevent warping which is a common problem with most solid wood chess boards. You will find no screws, plates, or other metal hardware on this chess board - it's all old-world woodworking genius.
Save $200.98 Compared to Buying Pieces & Board Separately!
- Genuine Ebony & Boxwood
- Pieces individually hand polished with solid lacquer and buffing wheel
- King Height: 4.6"
- King Base: 1.9"
- King Weight: 4.2 oz.
- Chess Set Weight: 67 oz.
- 2 spare queens are included for pawn promotion
- Green Baize Cloth Pads
- Material: Zebra Wood, Maple & South American Walnut
- Finish: Polyurethane Semi-gloss
- Square Size: 2.5"
- Overall Dimensions: 23.875" x 23.875" x 1.375" thick
- Weight: 15 Lbs.
- Laminated frame to prevent warping.
- Decorative corner dowels are used to strengthen mitered corners instead of screws and plates to maintain the old-world woodworking integrity.
- Decorative maple inlay surrounds the frame.
- Special interlocking design between board and frame to prevent warping.
- Exposed squares underneath.
- Special finish to protect and seal the wood on every exposed surface.
- Thick felt pads to protect the furniture you sit it on.
- Unique key-hole on back side of frame so the chess board can be hung on a wall.